Sunday, November 21, 2010

Surgery Day

Victoria had to go under the knife last Thursday. She had an eye condition called Strambismus (sp?). It means her eye muscles were not keeping her eyes aligned right. She was going cross-eyed when focusing on things up close and eventually she would have double vision. They put her to sleep, cut the eye muscles and sutured them back to where they should be. Mick had to have this same operation when he was 5 so we knew what to expect but it still is never easy having your child under anesthesia. It was a worry, but she is home now and fine. The eyes are working properly and she won't have to have glasses anymore.





These are pictures in the pre-op room. She didn't really know what was happening and was not very worried and having a good time with all the attention. They gave her this t-shirt to wear for the surgery and she thought that was pretty awesome. Then they told her her hair was too long and would be in the way and she needed to wear this cap. She was mad and having nothing to do with wearing the ugly thing. In the end, they let me braid it in one long braid down the back and she was much happier.


Here is evidence of why she needed this surgery. No more cross eyes for her now though!

I didn't take any after photos because she came into recovery panicked, scared, and in pain so I didn't need visual reminders. It was awful for her. It scares the little ones so bad to come out of the disorentation of anesthesia. She screamed and cried for a good solid hour. She wouldn't open her eyes for 24 hours. Eventually she asked if we could go get Kade because she wanted to see "her baby" and she opened them to see him. I am glad she loves him so much and it gave her the confidence to try.

Now the pain is gone, but the whites of her eyes are blood red and she is so embarrassed. She keeps saying, " I look horrid, just horrid." I keep telling her it will go away in a week or two, but I know that must seem like forever to a 5 year old.

She is a joy to have in our home. I am sorry she had to go through this, but it was fun getting to baby her and she was so sweet and kind through all of it even though she felt so miserable. I love her so much!

PS. This is Adam now.

Julie forgot to mention that Tori is TUFF!!!. When she was coming out of the anestesia, she was was flailing around so much Julie could not hold her. I was trying to hold her on my lap and she beat me up pretty good. She would stretch out and then jerk her knees up. The first couple of times I wasn't ready for it and she made me see stars. She knocked my glasses off and banged my watch pretty bad. It was impressive how strong her legs are. I had a whole new respect for what her gymnastics has done for her.

Her eyes have been hurting and so she wears her pink sunglasses all the time. She is so cute in them. The other day she was was upset because her eyes were swollen and "she had fat eyes like a buffalo." You learn something new everyday. I had no idea buffalo had fat eyes.

4 comments:

Stacey said...

It is very hard having your child go through surgery. It's heartbreaking. Glad she is doing better. She will always be beautiful no matter what. You can tell her that for me. Blood shot eyes or not.

The Foulgers said...

What a sweetheart. I'm sorry she had to go through that, but happy it went well.
I wouldn't have wanted to wear that ugly cap either!:)

Kira And James Morris said...

She is so adorable. You are so blessed to have such a wonderful family. Im glad everything went well and that shes doing okay now. Thanks for sharing. :) keep posting.

Merri Hackett said...

Poor girl, I am glad it's over with and she's fine now! She is a tough little cookie!