Sunday, May 31, 2009

Garden on the Mind

I went running with my brother Jarod yesterday and he asked me how the garden was. I asked if he had seen the blog. He just started laughing and nodded his head. We were in Vernal for a couple of days and I was more worried about finding someone to water the garden than I was about finding someone to feed the dog. Big thanks to Jeremy Nelson for taking care of both for me, my zucchini grew a bunch under his care for the weekend.

We were in Vernal for my sister Erin's High School Graduation. It was great to see her graduate. She also was awarded a full tuition scholarship to Snow College. I am going to go check out Ephraim with her tomorrow. (Just in case anyone is wondering, according to USU, Ephraim has more seed stores than any other city in the state. I can't wait to check some of them out and see if I find some sort of new plant I need to hurry and get in the ground.) The graduation service started with some comedy, they forgot to bring the US Flag. They had everyone say the Pledge of Allegiance. For the first half of the Pledge the whole crowd was looking around for a flag but there was none to be found, just a lonely empty flagpole. The kids that spoke were pretty good and the weather was great.

Congratulations Erin!!

Mom and Dad figured since we were all there handy, they may as well have us rebuild their deck. Jarod, the architect, did a great job of running the crew and getting it all together. My nephews were great to wrestle down and pick on. It looks like I only have about 5 years until either one of them will out weigh me. They are only 5 and 2 right now but they are BIG BOYS! Both of them are pushing 50 pounds and are solid.

Julie came in tonight as I was getting these pics loaded and asked if I realized I took more pictures of the garden lately than I did the kids! I told her I didn't realize it, but it made sense, the plants hold still longer!

Another week has gone by and the garden is still growing. I am quite excited to watch the plants as they develop. It is amazing to me.

Here are the beets:

Here is Mick's Big Max pumpkin:


Here is an over view of the corn, cucumbers (on the left), and tomatoes (on the right):
Here is one of the cucumbers:
These are our tomatoes:
Here is the corn patch (I think I am going to tear out half of it an replant it so we have corn for a few weeks this fall rather than all at once):

Here is what one of our boxes looks like. We have 2 4' X 4' boxes and 1 4' X 8" box.
Carrots, Radishes, and Strawberries:

Watermelon:
Zucchini:
Tori's little pumpkins:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like things are growing.

The Hall Family said...

Hey dad, get it figured out?