Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Garden

We are now one week into the garden experiment and it is doing pretty good, everything but our carrots have sprouted and no plants have died.

If any of you knew my Grandma and Grandpa Olsen you know they loved gardening. They only had about 389.85 acres worth. (It was actually closer to 1 acre of garden and 4 acres of corn, I think) but it felt huge when I was little. They even had an outhouse in the garden, leftover from earlier times when they didn't have running water. Some of my best memories are panning for gold in the irrigation ditch on their property or driving their old 1978 Green Chevy Nova around in circles. If I kept the wheel cranked as hard as could be I could go in circles between the chicken coop, the burn barrels (that is how they dealt with garbage, in case anyone hasn't heard of burn barrels) and the massive Box Elder trees. It made it kind of tricky because I had to look between the steering will and the dashboard to see out. Cranking the wheel that hard put the support in the steering wheel right where my 10 year old eyes should have been looking out to see the coop, barrels, trees, coop, barrels, trees, coop barrels, trees.... My grandpa made sure I always checked the oil before driving off to go in circles then he would sit in the shade between the huge trees as I raised dust clouds over that half of the Uinta Basin. Occasionally he would have me water down my round racetrack before I got started but not to often. I would have the radio going and it seems like the only song that radio ever played was "Black Velvet." Anyhow...

I am sure Grandma and Grandpa are chuckling at my 32 square feet of garden but I am so proud of it I could pop. Here are some picture of our progress so far:

Our corn patch:



Here is a Celebrity Tomato:

More Celebrity Tomatos:




Here is our Lemon Tomato (they will be yellow) :

Here are some cucumbers:

Here are Tori's small pumpkins. It was amazing to watch the closer plant actually come out of the dirt in the time it took me to water the garden and take pictures this afternoon:
Last, but not least, our watermelons and radishes:

1 comment:

Keri said...

It looks like your garden is doing really well! Don't worry about your carrots, I'm sure they'll come up. I planted mine in mid-March and they're finally starting to come up good. And hey, I grew up with burn barrels!