Monday, January 10, 2011

The War

Yesterday Adam and I taught a huge group of like 54 boys in our primary class. Well, it was 9 but it felt like 54 :) We talked a little about the War in Heaven before we came to this Earth. The kids are always fascinated with this story and they ate it up and paid really close attention. I thought about this lesson all day yesterday off and on.
These are my thoughts:
We all know how hard it is to resist temptations. Satan tries to tempt us to do wrong any chance he can. He does not want us to be happy and follow Jesus Christ. It is really hard to say no to him sometimes and Choose the Right. Satan has this much influence over us and he doesn't have a body, we can't see him, we can't hear him, he isn't our next door neighbor, or an old friend and yet he can have this much power over us to tempt us.
What must it have been like during the War in Heaven when we could see him and hear his discussions and persuasions that it would be better for us to not have free agency and choose him to be our Savior? He was our brother, probably someone in high authority and someone we looked up to.
On the other hand, we had our other brother, Jesus, asking God and us to choose his way. So we could come to this Earth, not only to just get a physical body, but also to be tested and grow and learn from having our own trials and free agencies.
I don't know exactly what happened and this is just my own thoughts, but I am betting Lucifer was very hard to say no to at that time when we had to make a decision. It MUST have been because 1/3 of our brothers and sisters chose to follow Lucifer. That is a huge huge amount of spirits that followed him.
That part of the story is sad, but I walked away from this lesson inspired. Cause you know what? Obviously, all of us here on this earth chose the right way and followed Jesus Christ and God's plan or we wouldn't be here. I chose to do the right thing when temptation was at it's highest. When I could see and hear Lucifer and watch a lot of my peers go with him. I was strong and I stayed with my Heavenly Father.
If I could withstand that kind of temptation in the middle of a War, I know I can withstand anything Satan tries to throw at me now. I am not saying I won't make mistakes. I know I have sinned and will still sin, but I know that I don't have to accept that. I can repent and go on and do what is right again. It will just remind me that next time I am tempted to do something wrong that I am stronger than that or I wouldn't be here and hopefully help me make a better decision.
Look what I got out of teaching Primary? This also proves that from teaching Primary I can learn just as much from these lessons as the children.

3 comments:

Kira And James Morris said...

Wow! You know.. I had never really thought that deep into the war in heaven. I never really thought of how hard it was on anyone. Thats a really good point, and actually just like you said very inspiring and motivating, especially when times are extremely hard. I am glad you shared becuase this will defiantly help me in times of doubt and disbelief as well as others. I'm so glad that you could teach those boys such a valuable lesson and be a living example of standing tall and doing whats right! I know you have always been a great friend and mentor to be personally.

Grandma Bebbs said...

Thanks for your thoughts. It is a comfort to me to know my grandkids are being taught by such a wise woman. Love you.

Alex said...

great thoughts! I'm glad you posted this. I always learn a TON more when I'm teaching my kids than if I'm just reading the scriptures for myself. By the way, Alex loved you guys as teachers!
-Kristie Carlson