Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Jones Hole and Ely Creek

Over the Labor Day weekend we went to Vernal. It was nice to get away and just relax for a while. We went to church with Julie's mom. There was a baby blessing that was most memorable I have ever heard. The dad blessed his little girl "she would be a good example to her family when she got past the crying age." The first thought that ran through my head was "she won't be much of an example from the graveyard." I was about done with that little side-trip in my head when I heard him say "and I bless you that you will marry a good man in the temple, but make dang sure he is the right one." When he got done Mick looked at me and said "Dad, he used 'dang' in a blessing"

On Labor Day Dad, Mick, Tori, and I went to Jones Hole. We got to look at the fish in the hatchery then went down the stream to the the Ely Creek Water Fall.
It was a fun hike. I am so proud of my kids. They both were great hikers. It is around 2 miles each way from the hatchery to the falls. Mick and Tori were climbing on rocks like Mtn Goats and having a great time.
All that climbing is pretty hard work. They were so happy to see a "bed" to lay down on.
After a good rest they were able to carry on to the falls. When we got there, they didn't waste any time getting in the water. Mick managed to stay pretty dry but his sister promptly got wet up to her waist. Here he is coming back down to help his little sis up to the top of the falls.
Tori is letting Granpa know how rough it is being 4 years old and falling in the stream.
I carried Tori a pretty good portion of the trip out but Mick just went like a tank the whole way. I was so proud of him. When we left the water fall Tori took off running and ran about half a mile or so before she got tired. It was so much fun. I love being outdoors and love that my kids like to be with me outside (Mom was getting a much deserved break). Here we are taking a break on the way back to the car.
I am so glad my dad is in good enough shape to do these sorts of things with us also. He is a great dad and grandpa. He always makes time for being with his kids and grandkids. I am so glad we all have a common interest in being outdoors. I couldn't ask for better parents. They are a great example of how to be. My mom loves to take our kids and tries to do so for a couple of weeks each year. We were the envy of the neighborhood this summer when we were childless for a whole week. It was great!


No comments: