Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Cheer For Adam (and Adam's Version)







The Utah Valley Marathon 2010 was held last Saturday. Adam and his friend, Brett, ran it together. They finished somewhere around 4 hrs 20 min but I haven't heard the official chip time. Adam said the first 9 miles was constant downpour of rain and it was cold, but they never stopped having a good time. He felt really great after this one and hasn't been very sore at all. I am so proud of him. I always knew I couldn't be married happily to someone who didn't make excersise an important part of their lives. I am so glad he likes it as much as me and that he strives to reach his goals.
Adam had shirts screen printed to say, "Cheer For Adam" and "Cheer For Brett." He said they were the most popular racers out there. Everyone was cheering for them by name. Hehe.

Hello, This is Adam with the true version of the story. It was a long and grueling ordeal. We were not quite sure when it started since they told us 5:30 then fired the start gun once and didn't let anyone run (or at least it seemed that way, it was hard to tell since we had been up since before 3 am. What kind of crazies get up before 3 am just to go run?). The second time they fired the start gun people actually began running. Then the rains came down and the floods came up. The roadway was nearly washed away from the torrential downpour we fought and pushed through 2 hours of rain. I know this because the side of the road around Deer Creek was all dirt where it should have been asphalt. Luckily, Brett and I were amazing and tough as nails. Then the rain stopped, and the wind started blowing straight from the North Pole. I may have been in the early stages of Hypothermia as I shivered and shook out of the mouth of Provo Canyon. Brett was there to grab my collar, slap my face and bring me back to reality. He was going on, and on, and on about how good the wind felt. Something about drying him out and pushing him down the canyon. I was busy focusing on keeping up with him. Apparently, real training helps one to perform better in marathons. Brett was concerned about passing the 19th mile because that is where he "hit the wall" of "bonking" in the last race of foolishness he participated in. We sailed past mile 19 and mile 20 without even noticing. (We were too busy waving and yelling to our adoring fans who had lined the road just to call our names.) Finally near the end we came to the overpass at the south end of University Avenue. There was only about .5 mile left when we got there. I have not way of proving it but I am pretty sure some ideeeeot raised it up about 150 feet higher than it usually is just for the race. We rounded the corner off of University Ave towards the Provo Towne Centre and thought we were done. We didn't know we still had to circle around the mall before they would let us finish. Luckily we had a few more fans waiting to cheer for us through that extra unplanned stretch.

6 comments:

Jessica said...

I love the shirts, that is awesome. Way to go! A marathon is SO long!

Stacey said...

I still can't believe they ran that far! WOW!!! I probably would die... WAY TO GO ADAM, I WILL CHEER FOR YOU! :)

Merri Hackett said...

That's awesome! I love their shirts! It's a great idea. Way to go Brett & Adam.

Cheryl said...

I love Adam's version...very funny!!

Jen Gallacher said...

You guys are too funny! It's Julie's turn next time. :)

Merri Hackett said...

ha ha ha I love adam's account :)