Thursday, February 18, 2010

Live in the moment.....

I had read or heard this a while ago and just found it on someone else's blog and I wanted to post it so that I can remember it from time to time. I missed so much of Tori's first year. I was physically present, but mentally and emotionally I was a wreck and I have forgotten almost all of it. It's something that I regret almost daily. My husband is quick to remind me that it wasn't my fault, that I couldn't help the PPD that I had, but I still feel so bad that I cannot recall much of her first year of life.
I feel so blessed to be able to do this newborn thing again, like it's a second chance for me to get it right. I want to cherish every little moment I get to spend cuddling and taking care of Kade. I know that realistically I probably won't love every single minute of it (like lack of sleep) but I hope that I remember this quote and do a much better job this time.
Anna Quindlen:
The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. … I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I feel guilty about the exact same thing. In fact I Stay up at night wishing that I could remember more of Cambry and Heidi's first year of life. I just think it goes by so fast and you have other children taking your attention away. I can totally remember Annie's 1st year because I didn't have another little one distracting me. Tell that little Kade to hurry up!!!